We reported in January that Bruce Campbell would be appearing in a new TV series. Of course, when he was interviewed on WLVQ, he couldn’t divulge any details. According to Deadline, the actor has landed a role in Adopted, an ABC pilot produced by Jimmy Kimmel through his Kimmelot productions.
The talk show host will be writing and executive producing the series along with Shawn Vance who penned the original source material for the show, The Green Beret’s Guide to Surviving the Apocalypse. Vance will be starring alongside Campbell, Wendie Malick (Hot in Cleveland) and Maxim Swinton (Blindspot) in the single camera comedy.
Here’s what we know so far:
- Adopted is based on a true story. Vance plays Shawn Voss, a former Green Beret who returns home to Texas. His parents (Campbell and Malick) are about to add a new addition to the family, a pre-teen boy from Russia named Daniel (Swinton).
- Campbell is John, the patriarch of the Voss clan. He is a happy go-lucky albeit goofy business owner who has an upbeat personality and refuses to see the negative side of life. His good nature is bound to be tested now that his house is full of kids again.
- Wendie Malick portrays John’s wife, Michelle. While she is enthusiastic about adopting Daniel, she is also keenly aware that she isn’t a young parent anymore so she is going to have to rely on her family to help her out.
- Maxim Swinton's Daniel has a sweet disposition and really wants to connect with his new family. However, this might prove to be challenging since he is dealing with trauma that he endured as a younger child.
- Additional cast members include Tate Moore as Shawn’s sister and “social influencer,” Chelsea. Sofi Pernas is Dr. Zora, Daniel’s teacher and love interest of Shawn and Reyn Doi is Daniel’s friend, Thumper.
This is definitely exciting news for Bruce Campbell fans. Fingers crossed that Adopted gets picked up so that we can see him in a weekly series again!